Affordable Winter Shelter for Stray/Outdoor Cats
Easy to build with affordable materials and easy to clean and maintain!
– A large Rubbermaid storage bin w/lid
– An 8’ x 2’ sheet of one-inch thick, hard Styrofoam
– A yardstick
– An ink marker (such as a Sharpie) -A box cutter or utility knife
– Straw, shredded newspaper or other insulating material
Assemble as follows:
1. Cut a doorway 6” x 6” in one of the long sides of the storage bin towards the corner. Cut the opening so the bottom is several inches above the bottom of the bin to prevent flooding in the bin.
2. Using the yardstick and box cutter to measure and cut out the piece, line the floor of the bin with a piece of Styrofoam.
3. When proceeding to cut the side pieces of Styrofoam, remember, those finished side pieces should not go up to the top of the bin. Cut each of the 4 interior wall pieces to stop at least 3” from the upper edge of the bin. This will allow room for an interior Styrofoam ‘roof’ to fit on top of the side pieces.
4. Cut the doorway in the Styrofoam where it is lined up with the doorway you cut earlier in the bin. Trace the outline of the door on the Styrofoam before cutting.
5. Stuff the bottom of the bin with straw, shredded paper or your choice of insulating material for bedding and to hold the Styrofoam interior wall pieces in place.
6. Cut the Styrofoam ‘roof’ to rest on top of the interior Styrofoam wall pieces.
7. Sprinkle catnip inside to entice your tenant!
8. Cover the bin with its lid! COZY kitty cats!